Thursday, November 21, 2013

Musee de l'Armee and Getting Lost!


I set out one day to go to the Rodin Museum, and was disappointed to find out when I got there that it was closing early that day for a Chanel event taking place there that night. Since I didn't recognize where I was I decided to just walk and see what I could find to do with my now free day. I turned a corner and came upon this beautiful view! I guess I should have kind of known where I was since the Invalides area is well-known, but I had just not ventured there yet.
I decided to take a peak inside this museum while I was there. Little did I know it was GIGANTIC, and I actually spent a few hours there.
To be honest I was first drawn to the museum because of these cool plant things that I wanted to get a closer look at. When I reached the gate is when I realized it was a museum. The building is absolutely beautiful (as are so many here).
I started in a section completely dedicated to armory. I wish I had a guide or at least an audio guide because I think it would have made it a more interesting expiernece. I wandered around this area for almost 2 hours actually and saw tons of old pieces of armor and guns and all that type of stuff.
Horseback!
Here are some funny looking helmets that I really enjoyed!
They had armor from many other countries other than France, which I thought was really cool because it was fun to see the contrast. This one is from Japan. I really liked the fluffy mustache haha.
Guns. I think I would have enjoyed this part more if I were a boy, but still, this was kind of cool to see.
A room full of cannons! Seriously this place is gigantic. At this point I had been there for two hours and had barely scratched the surface on what this entire museum had to offer. I saw a tour group of little kids (probably on a field trip) and tried to listen in to their tour. It was actually semi-successful because even though the teacher was speaking French, she was talking slow and with plain words so that the children could understand (and so could I! yay!)
 I ventured upstairs to the WW1 and WW2 sections of the museum. This part took a really long time as well. It was set up on multiple floors and as you walked through, there were years on the floor indicating a change in years of the war. I thought this was awesome because I got a feel for the order that everything happened and just HOW much happened year to year. Unfortunately, a lot of the descriptions were written in only French and I couldn't read them well enough to fully understand. But, there were enough visual for me to get the concept. This is again why it would have been helpful to have an audio guided tour, or a friend who is a history major there with me to explain everything! If you know me, you may know that history is my least favorite subject in school, despite the fact that I actually love LEARNING history. I just hate the memorization of dates and facts so much that it has sadly kept me away from most history courses. Anyway, my point is, I find all this stuff really interesting and it actually made me want to force myself to learn more.
I'm sure it would be interesting to see how the French perspective and history of the war compares to how it is talked about in the states. I got a little bit excited every time I saw something related to the US so I took pictures :) It made me miss home just a little bit.
I loved seeing the uniforms in person. They also had uniforms from all different countries and it was so cool to see the differences.
US propaganda
The museum was filled with really emotional and graphic photos and videos. Some were really hard to watch and look at.
Nearing the end of the tour - about 5 hours passed at this place so far, I was exhausted!
Once I exited the WW2 exhibit, I headed over to Napoleon's Tomb which is at this museum as well. If I've learned anything in France, it is that the world pretty much revolved around Napoleon. The size and grandeur of his tomb really emphasizes my point.
A grand statue.
At the back of the large room.
There were a few more exhibits in the museum but I just couldnt get myself to see them all. I was a little overwhelmed at this point, and was happy to see the sunny day outside. I really did love the museum, and I highly suggest it to anyone visiting Paris. My advice is to pick on or two things you really want to see and stick with it. My aimless wandering is what kept me there for so long. Anyway, this is the museum from a distance. you can see just how gigantic it is (especially considering this is just the front and it extends back a long way). At this point, I decided to continue my day of aimless wandering to see where I ended up. 
I walked for a while and ended up along the Seine. The leaves were just starting to change and it was absolutely gorgeous. I was tired and in search of a metro station at this point. One of the many things I love about Paris is that I feel that I can't REALLY got lost because as long as I can find a metro station, I can always get home. Plus, this wasn't a bad scenic route to wander along (:
I saw the Eiffel Tower in the distance and knew there was a metro stop nearby it, so I walked in that general direction. The only problem with this is that, even though the tower is so huge, the streets are so narrow and the buildings block the distant views, so I kept losing site of the tower! Anyway, eventually I turned a corner and TA DA! I found it!
I took a few picture while I was there because I wanted to take advantage of its view on the sunny day. While here, I was approached by 3 different pick-pockets in the span of about 20 minutes. I knew they were pickpockets for MANY reasons:
One: They were carrying clipboards. Now, I am not saying everyone who carries a clipboard in Paris wants to steal your iPhone, but we have been warned many times that a common tactic of pick pockets is to ask you to sign a petition and while you must use both hands (to hold the clipboard and sign your name), someone will come up behind you and take something out of your purse or pocket.
Two: Each of them approached me and asked me an identical question: "Hello, do you speak English?" This is a definite tourist trap. English speakers traveling in France I am sure find some comfort when they meet someone who speaks English. This question is probably makes some uninformed people feel comfortable and even trusting of the stranger.
Three: I was right next to the Eiffel Tower - this one's obvious.
Four: They all had "friends" around them doing the same thing, who are there to assist in taking somebody's things once they get caught up in a conversation.
Five: I was by myself, and therefore less of a threat.
Six: Unfortunately, I stick out like a sore thumb with my blonde hair. As much as it is my goal for people to not know I am foreign, it is pretty much unavoidable.

Anyway, any time one of these people come up to me I make sure to grip my purse tighter and just tell them "no" and keep walking. It has been a rough transition trying to be cold to strangers here, but it is something I am really glad I have gotten used to because it saves me from a lot of trouble.
Phew. One more picture! I am not sure how I really got into that whole pick pocket rant but my fingers just kept moving!

Anyway, this day was actually a LONG time ago and I just saw these pictures and decided they were worth sharing. I have so many pictures and days I wish I could recount. While I do have some lazy days where I sit in my room and catch up on Modern Family, my favorite days are days like those above. I love getting "lost" in the city. I actually sometimes prefer to wander by myself because then I have no responsibility but my own. And here in Paris, right now, My responsibilities are small which is such an unreal feeling. I can't even imagine what going back to UCLA is going to be like. It sort of scares me in a way, so I am soaking up all that I can here in this paradise life I am living!

I am currently at the American library in Paris doing research for my final paper in French Art. I am not even going to say how many weeks I have left because it makes me so sad to think i am leaving here. Anyway, look out for a few new blog posts. Once I get my first draft of this paper done I am back to blogging! Woohoo! I have so much to share <3

No comments:

Post a Comment