Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Exploring the Neighborhood, and Things I've Learned!

I'm just barely wrapping up day three and I already feel like I've been here for a while! The past few days have flown by! They have been filled with lots of exploring, orientation meetings, and getting to know new friends. We got our schedules today, and I am very excited about the classes I will be taking this semester, which are French Art, Media in France & the EU, and beginning French. I got all of my top choices! I explored our neihborhood and part of the Latin Quarter yesterday with some new friends.
This is Gare de Lyon, the train station that is two blocks from my residence. I was so excited to finally see it up close because I had only seen it from a distance when walking around at first. This picture really does not show just how massive this building is. It is a very busy street and area, as there is also a major Metro stop underneath the train station. A tour guide explained that trains leave this station everyday and travel not only to places around France, but to Amsterdam, and Switzerland as well! I am hoping I will get a chance to take a train ride from here during this quarter!

As we walked further down the Seine and across a bridge, we decided to stop by Notre Dame to take a quick peak. The line to go inside was much too long, but I am so happy I was able to see this place on such a beautiful day! After learning so much about this building in my Communication of Architecture class at UCLA, it was unreal to actually be standing right in front of it. 

Here is a closer look at the front of the cathedral. So breathtaking!
And I of course couldn't resist taking a touristy photo in front of Notre Dame. We only stayed for about 15 minutes, so more pictures will come when I am able to spend a longer time at the amazing place!
This lock bridge is right next to Notre Dame. I loved reading all the little messages written on these locks of love! 
After Notre Dame, we took a walk through more of the Latin Quarter and I really fell in love with it. I thought the buildings here were especially beautiful, and the lively crowd of people made this such a fun place to be! We ate at a restaurant and sat outside on the street, where I bought my first legal drink, champagne. I enjoyed a swiss cheese sandwich and had a great time people watching on this sunny and warm day! The day turned slightly sour and EXTREMELY embarrassing when I collapsed at the check out counter of Orange, a local phone store. I think either I needed protein or had low blood sugar. Everything went black and next thing I knew I was on the ground sweating profusely, as the woman who was helping me yelled "She is not well, she is not well!" I was fortunate to have friends there to help, get me food, and take a cab back to my room with me. The employees also brought me water and some sugar cubes, which was very nice of them. Needless to say, I will not be going back into that store any time soon. Embarrassed doesn't begin to explain how I felt.


After a nice night of rest a few girls and I met up and visited the farmers market around the corner from our residence. It is open 6 days a week and has tables and tables of the most beautiful and juicy looking fruit and colorful vegetables. The most exciting part of this adventure was finding out that everything at the market is quite cheap! I bought a ton of vegetables and fruit (to last me almost a week) for under 5 euro! Score! We also got lots and lots of samples! Being here, however, also made me realize just how badly I need to learn some French. I cannot wait to begin my intensive language program because I feel terrible that I can barely utter numbers and "thank you." 

So delicious! 

We stopped at a pâtisserie after the farmers market, where I got a baguette and an almond pastry for breakfast (yum!). This picture is actually of a different pâtisserie that I visited later with a friend, because I didn't take a picture of the one I went to in the morning. The two places look very similar with these vibrant sweets in the window and loafs and loafs of bread in the back. These desserts honestly look even more perfect in person than they do in the picture, if you can even believe that. The best part about this specific place is that it is literally a 45 second walk from my school. I cannot wait to try out all of these throughout the next few months :)

THINGS I'VE LEARNED:
1. The "walk" signals on the crosswalk turn from green to red instantaneously, giving you no warning that you only have a few more seconds to get across the street.
2. Smiling at someone is like giving them a gift, and smiling at people on the streets can definitely give off the wrong impression. The social cues are much different here. I really need to work on my RBF.
3. The tap water is, in fact, safe to drink! Yay!
4. Hearing little kids speak French is one of the cutest things I have ever heard.
5. You are not expected to tip at restaurants.
6. Doctors often make house visits, and when you go see a doctor, it is usually in his house or apartment! (I haven't experienced this, but I learned this today and thought it was so interesting!) 
7. Everything is really small here.
8. Tofu is impossible to find - still looking, though!

3 comments:

  1. Bonjour a notre jolie niece Alexa! What a great way to start your experiences in Paris. Love that you are anxious to learn "la plus belle langue du monde entier." Your Uncle Bruce literally got teary-eyed reading your blog (he is such a romantic). We can't wait to hear more about your adventures. (My French here is missing the accents . . .but close enough for a blog comment).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an exciting update! I think the incident at the Orange store adds a bit of drama to the whole thing but glad you are feeling better. Keep the blog coming - it is great to see all of the photos and your smiling face

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you both enjoy the blog! I am trying my best to keep it updated (:

    ReplyDelete