Tuesday, August 27, 2013

La Tour Eiffel

Bonjour! I have been so busy these past few days that I haven't had any time to write. I have so many new updates and exciting things that I will probably be posting 2 or 3 blog posts today! This first one I am devoting to an entire day spent at the Eiffel Tower with new friends. It was absolutely surreal to finally see this huge landmark in real life. A small group of us brought along some wine, cheese, chocolate, and fresh baguettes, as shown in this very staged photo below. The weather was SO perfect, and I was able to wear my dress without a jacket until 12:00 at night when we left.
Everything just tastes better here. The bread is soft and fresh, the cheese are all unique and so organic, and even the chocolate is more unique. My favorite that I tasted that day with the chocolate with speculoos pieces in it. I hadn't had much speculoos before coming here. Basically it is sweet and tastes sort of like gingerbread but less intense. The pieces in the chocolate were crunchy and delicious! I even bought some speculoos cookies for my apartment after trying this chocolate!

The tower is so much bigger than I had imagined. We didn't go to the top on this visit, but it is definitely on my Paris bucketlist. Actually, Bella and I just recently created a bucket list complete with places to visit, and a specific "food" section as well. If you have any places I must see or food I must eat please let me know! This was our view the entire afternoon. We had a large blanket and just talked and got to know each other in this beautiful place. The only slightly annoying part were the people who would come up and try to sell us things. I was really aware of pick pockets here and basically sat on my purse the whole time. A guy came up to us at one point later in the night and actually tried to run off with my friend's bag. Luckily my friend had attached it to his belt look with a carabiner and so the man didn't make it far. I try not to let these people take away from my experience. I just know I have to be extra careful here. Luckily, I am always in a big group of people and my slight paranoia about being stolen from keeps my stuff safe.

On a lighter note, we couldn't leave the Eiffel Tower with out a "wave" picture. Incase you don't know, this is the sign for our sorority, Delta Gamma. To be honest, I am not 100% why or how this came to be. The best explanation I've heard is that making this shape looks like the shape of a gamma ( Γ ). If you've seen any of my other photos you have problem seen me doing this about a million times. Anyway, get ready for an obnoxious amount of wave pictures in the next few months :)
Bella with Nina and Brynn, two new friends!

This is Jen! We were actually on both of the same flights to Paris with me, but we didn't find out until we got here. She is also from San Francisco!

New friends watching the sparkly tower! I didn't get a good photo of the Eiffel Tower light show otherwise I would have posted it. It was so unbelievably beautiful! This day flew by and we ended up staying there for around 7 hours. Also, by the end of the night, our group had grown from 4 to about 25. So many other students form our program were at the Eiffel Tower for the day, too, and came and joined our picnic. I most definitely plan to spend a lot more time down by the tower because the area is SO pretty!

I have already been here for a whole week! I am adjusting really well and I think my sleeping pattern is where it needs to be. I just bought a much more comfortable blanket for my bed, which has made a huge difference. I also need some new sheets (the ones they gave us are like sandpaper). I love being able to cook, even though we don't have an oven or many other tools. I've been making a lot of vegetables, polenta, fruit, pasta, oatmeal, etc. I tried un café with some friends the other day and was not a big fan. The servings are so small, but are SO strong. Plus, I don't really like the extra ccaffine. I think I am going to stick with water and un pain au chocolat for now!

 I will be posting another blog post soon with my photos and stories from the weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Bonjour Alexa, For your and Bella's bucket list. First, places to eat (next comment will be about places to visit). 1) Boulangerie Poilane on 8 Rue de Cherche Midi. Best croissant and an unbelievable apple tart. (there are a couple of other locations too.) 2) Berthillon Glacier. It's on the Ile St Louis. Best ice cream in Paris, if not on the planet. They're snooty, but it's worth it. 3) Cafe la Palette. Check it out on cafelapaletteparis.com. 4) Go to a charcuterie in your neighborhood or for your next picnic. Bon Appetit from ta tante and ton oncle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour! Thank you for all the suggestions! We actually already have Boulangerie Poilane on the list (from your suggestion in Ashland). We have Berthillon Glacier on the list, as well! We have both heard so many great things about the ice cream there and have been so excited to go. We will definitely add these to our list!

      Delete
  2. Now for places to visit especially while the weather is still good. 1) Luxembourg Gardens; 2) Place des Vosges (not a parc but a great place to sit and people watch); 3) Buttes Chaumont (wonderful place for a picnic); 4) Montmartre (again not a parc but a great destination); 5) Jardin des Plantes (in the Quartier Latin). Bonnes visites!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have heard of Luxembourg Gardens, but the other gardens sound great as well. We are getting in as much outdoor time as we can while it is still beautiful out. It was 75 degrees today! (: And it is funny you mention Montmartre because I read this post earlier today when I was on my way out the door to go on an excursion to Montmarte with my French class. Look out for my blog post about that(: I absolutely loved it and cannot wait to go back and explore more. The little houses and streets were so colorful and cute, and the views were incredible.

      Delete